This project will have been going on for almost three years, but it is finally over.
It is therefore about the beatitudes in the version of Saint Luke and according to the text of the vulgate. The cadel B was made on metal and the embossing on a rag paper whose provenance I have totally forgotten.
I’m rather happy with the result, especially with my abbreviations, ligatures and Tironian notes in the NEULAND style, but even without mentioning these details, the overall view is rather nice, isn’t it?
In order to let pieces I have just varnished dry for a project that will incorporate other elements, I have hung the different parts in the workshop. I almost feel like leaving them like that, they make very nice motives.
Well, I’ll take them down once they’re dry but I’m keeping the idea for later and create mobiles using cadels letter elements in metal, it’s going to be great !
I had a few easels, wooden and small ones. They didn’t stay right, were fragile, kind of bulls**t. As I had an exhibition coming fast, I decided that I needed something more resistant so … here is the result :
It doesn’t resemble to anything but it’s not a problem. 80cm of electric wire, carefully bent and here I am, perfectly stable, solid and almost invisible easels. The only problem may be the color but I had some red wire and no time to go and buy some other.
And, as I’m a very gentle guy, here is another cadel letter, this time it’s an L.
An ill apple tree cut, 20 m² of ground digged, 5 rose bush and an orange tree transplanted, lots of other maintenance works in the garden… To make it short, I spent all my weekend in the garden. But, as I woke up early, I found time to etch a new cadel initial, inspired by the same manuscript as the previous one (Basel, Universitätsbibliothek, AN II 3).
It’s quite different from the cadel initials I already made & I like it.
I think I’ll made other ones inspired by the same manuscript but the priority now is the maintenance of the garden 🙂
Spring is coming and my garden requests all of my time, so no time to do calligraphy. But, surfing on the web, I came accross a manuscript with quite a lot of cadel initials and could not resist. So here is a new cadel initial, inspired by the Basel, Universitätsbibliothek, AN II 3, an initial P, as usual, acid-etched on zinc.
I’m quite happy with it, partly because I could make it smaller than the previous ones without loosing the quality of the etching. It is 6 cm high.
Soon more initials inspired by the same manuscript, if gardening does not take all my spare time 🙂
Still no time for real work, this time I decided to make two little broochs instead of magnets.
I take the occasion to tell you about Monique who decided to create cadel initials on zinc after she discovered them on my website. With no information from me on the technique, she managed to get quite good results!
If you are also interested in zinc engraving, please send me pics of your works, I’m sure that all together we can improve this technique.