Electro-etching on steel, the plate is 15x20cm.
The colors are due to oxydization which happened when I heated the plate after the etching.
An M to say thank you (in french we say merci).
I designed the cadel from patterns previously seen in different manuscripts.
And, as you would have guessed, it’s been done with electro etching on tin.
An umpteenth version of this sentence engraved on the Oracle’s temple in Delphi : Know thyself.
This time, I mixed an embossed roman capital with its greek counterpart, letterred on tin and electro-etched to show the hidden parts of the roman caps.
I’m very happy with the result, already thinking of new works using the same technique. Impatient !!!
To see the whole thing, click here. The pic is not very good, it’s difficult to get enough light to reveal the whole etching :-
Just to prove that I’m still working, even if (or maybe because) I don’t post a lot on this blog.
Here is a pic of my latest work, still in progress and far from being finished.
There’ some greek in it but not only and it’s a sentence I already worked on. For the time being, I won’t tell you more about it …
Today, the first item of a serie that I hope to be numerous, a copy of a man hole cover pattern, electroetched on steel.
The cut is 3mm thick and 8cm in diameter, the perfect object to be used as a non breakable beer mat 😉
Still no time (or desire?) to start new and large works, so I do little things while testing electro-etching.
A new filigree pattern, a bit smaller than the first one :
And a new seal made from a bolt, this time using a new and more little one :
I’ve just finished two little brooches (approx. 2.5cm in diameter) and failed the etching of one of them :-/
The knotwork I made with acid etching and the filigrees with electro-etching. This one got eaten on the edges and I’ll have to redo it. 50% of success, I have to improve the ratio 🙂
Digging in the garden, I made an almost archeological discovery, an old bolt eaten by rust. I cleaned it a bit, not too much for the patina to remain and, as I found it really beautiful, I decided to find another use for it.
I turned it into a seal by electro-etching a man hole cover pattern on his head.
And the result is perfectly functional as you can see.
This is how to turn rubbish into design and original object 🙂
I continue playing with electro-etching. This time, I inverted the polarity to darken the engraved parts at the end of the process.
As you can see, this time I etched an old blade of a metal saw. I can’t stop recycling 🙂
I’m still experimenting electro-etching but with no time to do real work so I’m just playing. Among patterns that I like and that will not take too long to reproduce are man hole covers. So be it …
Of course, It’s made out of steel plates that I threw in the garden to rust after the electro-etching. I love the result and I think I’ll continue with this idea 🙂